Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Day the Earth Stood Still remake....FAIL!




My worst fears about this movie have come true. The Day the Earth Stood Still remake fails to live up to its classic predecessor. But is it a surprise? The concept and special effects are of course great but after I watched the trailers and saw Keanu's lifeless version of Klatuu, I knew that this movie wasn't going to measure up. Now that the reviews are in I feel totally insulted!

I'm insulted, not because of the actors its the direction of the characters. A lot of people give Keanu Reeves a hard time for being a bad actor, I don't think he's terrible as people say but he's no Brando, Stewart etc. Its the direction that they had Klatuu going in. The first movie showed us that an alien can have some compassion for us. This new Klatuu came off intimidating and menacing. By doing this they lost the compassion and relatability of the character. I'm sure during the movie this rigidness would have changed because of key people, ie Jennifer Connelly and Jayden Smith but I'm sure it feels tacked on.

I haven't seen the film but I'm going on what I've read and what I've heard. I'll try to watch it and compare the endings as well. Apparently there is a big difference in this version's ending.

So, who's at fault for this? Everyone in Hollywood wants those big tentpole films, the big franchise makers. So everyone has been digging into the past to dust off and remake classic films. This is fine but they are either deviating too far from the source material or are missing the point completely from the original that make them classics. I think there are people out there in Hollywood that are completely ignorant.

They really want these properties to work yet the pressure of making money, appealing to mass audiences and just being completely ignorant of what makes things work is what attributes to failures like this. The powers that be need to look at these classics and really try to learn what is the most important aspect about them. I'm not only talking about concept but what the emotional connectivity these films possess that connects with the audience. Maybe if someone took the time out to examine that instead of rushing into pre production maybe some of these remakes won't fall flat and suck.

If you want to see a good scifi film, there's nothing like the original.

No comments: